When B and I moved to DC, we had about two pieces of furniture. We also happened to move into an apartment with a laughable excuse for a kitchen—our so-called countertops are big enough to hold approximately four forks laid out side-by-side. We got the apartment because it has great flow, a beautiful bay window area/reading nook (I’m trying to decide if we can start calling it The Library), and is in a location that we love. We also still consider ourselves novices in the cooking department, and so we wouldn’t even know what to do with two ovens and a full-sized fridge. Scratch that—we would figure it out. And I damn well know what I would do with more counter space.
Anyway, we decided early on that we’d need to create a coffee station for our mugs and coffee pots, since there is simply no room in the kitchen. We bought this “coffee stand” (nightstand?) and “mug holder” (CD rack) from a closing vintage store and goodwill, respectively. We paid maybe $10 for both. We had grand visions for each piece, but they’ve sat in our apartment for going on 8 or so months. Until now!
First, the coffee stand. We decided a simple coat of stain would make the piece look a little richer. We don’t really have an outside space, so we opened all of our windows, duct taped garbage bags to our floor, and called it good. We chose a nice cherry stain and got to work. I like how it turned out.
I also realized I had some old knobs from Anthropologie from an old dresser that didn’t make the trip to DC. We chose one and added it to the upper left hand corner.
Lastly, we made some wall decals at Spoonflower. You may remember me raving about Spoonflower a few posts ago. Well, in the same session where we made our comic wall art, we also chose some graphics for wall decals. I found the vintage coffee pot and teakettle images over at the Graphics Fairy. She again makes it explicit that you can use her images for whatever you want. We then chose some funky colors through the Spoonflower site to give the images a little more modern oomph.
Once we got them, applying them was as simple as cutting off the excess white (not shown), and then making sure we applied them levelly. We used a credit card to help smooth the decals on with no bubbles (here’s a nice how-to on wall decal application).
And here’s our maybe-finished product!
B thinks we should add some sort of racing stripes in black or some other color so they don’t look so slapped on and look more of a piece with the piece. We’ve decided to sit with them for awhile. In any case, it’s a huge improvement. And the decals can come right off if we get sick of them.
I've saved the mug stand for a later post.